This Is Africa. This is what all of the locals go by when needing a phrase to help us fast-paced Americans understand the new country we are in. Life down here is much calmer and laid-back than I have ever been used to... Here's some of what it's been like.
So I finally arrived in South Africa on Tuesday evening, to a couple disgruntled program-mates who had been waiting on me at the airport. The drive from the airport is one I will not soon forget, and one that I am absolutely humbled by. After leaving the comfort of the international airport, we cross a bridge, and immediately there are shantytowns on either side of us.
After about a 10-minute drive to campus, we pull onto Main Road, the heart of where I will be living for the next 5 months. The street is beautiful. I look up and am staring at the backside of Table Mountain, or Devil’s Peak.
The view of Devil's Peak from Rondebosh and the view of Devil's Peak from Upper Campus.
The view of Devil's Peak from Rondebosh and the view of Devil's Peak from Upper Campus.
Our apartment is very homely, a small living room with TV and DVD player (all the comforts of home), 3 bedrooms, and a small kitchen and bathroom to share. We unpacked a bit and then went to the boys’ flat next to us (Chainhood) to have a brie (bar-b-que) and get to know everyone. After this Becca finally made it home from the airport and we all went to bed.
Wednesday was a day reserved for getting to know the area we live in, set up bank accounts, and do all sorts of the things necessary to a new place. At night, Interstudy had planned for us to go to a local play in District 6 and have a traditional South African dinner. The play was amazing, and I was glad to find that the food was as well. The meat was a sort of meatloaf, but with less spices and extras than we are used to in the States. This was served with a salad and rice, and for desert was a custard type of dish. After this, our group decided to have a night out at a bar so that we could celebrate being together with one another.
Today we toured the beautiful (and huge) campus that will house all of our classes over the next 5 months. The walk from my flat is almost all straight uphill, although there are campus buses called Jammies that we can catch if we need to. The plan for tonight is for Helena 5 to make some tacos, another brie at Chainhood, and then probably going out with the group once again. Oh man.

My roommates Becca, Natalie and I on a lion statue at Rhode's Memorial.
A view of Upper Campus and Devil's Peak from the rugby fields.